Efficient Design By Architect With Plumbing Fixture
A bathroom is one of the most practical spaces in your home. We use it for personal hygiene activities such as washing, brushing, bathing, grooming, etc. However, for some, it is no less than a personal spa.
Regardless of what you consider your bathroom to be, it is incomplete without the necessary fittings and fixtures that add value and enhance the overall appeal.
Each plumbing feature is designed with one function in mind and as an architect, we have to consider all the fine details to design a functional bathroom that gives you luxurious spa-like experience.
From a sleek shower to a deep-well lavatory, here's a list of the plumbing fixtures to design your bathroom:
A bathtub is a common plumbing fixture that is designed for bathing but most importantly as a centerpiece in any bathroom.
Most well-designed bathtubs are made of acrylic, porcelain-enameled steel, fiberglass, waterproof wood, or porcelain enameled cast iron.
There are different styles of bathtubs in the market including the western-style, eastern style and claw foot.
The standard bathtub dimensions can be 5’6″ x 2’8″, 5’0″ x 2’8″, or 6’0″ x 3’0″, and most of the modern bathtubs come with a shower attachment.
The standard accessories of a bathtub are:
- Showerhead: It provides an aerial stream of water for bathing and is mounted at a height of 5’9″ from the ground for adults and 5′ 0″ for kids.
- Shower controls: This is optional but can be included as per the customer’s requirements.
- Bath spout: It is placed above the bathtub to pour down water in a tub, with valves above the bath spout to control the flow. There are bath spouts with and without a diverter.
- Soap and sponge holder: This is installed on the adjacent wall of the bathtub at a height of 3′ 0″ from the ground.
- Vertical grab bars: These are optional but can be installed adjacent to the bathtub at a height of 3’6″ from the ground. Length dimensions can be 9″, 12″, 15″, 18″, or 24″.
- Towel bar: This is mounted at the side of a bathtub at a minimum height of 4’0″. However, if the bathtub has a shower, do not fix the towel bar next to it.
- Shower Curtain rod: A curtain rod must be installed on the inside of the shower enclosure and must be at a 6’0″ height from the ground.
A wash basin or sink is a concave-shaped bathroom fitting designed for washing your face, hands, or other small items.
Modern sinks are made of different materials including copper, glass, stainless steel, ceramic, or plastic.
The washbasin is mounted keeping in mind that its top should be 2’9″ height from the ground. The commonly used sinks are bottom mount, solid surface, stand-alone and butler sinks.
The main accessories of washbasin are:
- Taps/faucets: Taps supply cold and hot water. You can regulate the speed as per your convenience.
- Mirror: It should be installed above the sink such that its top is at a height of 6’0″ from the ground.
- Shelf: This is optional but can be mounted at a height of 4’0″ from the ground.
- Soapdish: This can be installed at a height of 3’6″ from the ground on one of the sides of the washbasin.
- Tumbler holder: This can be installed at a height of 3’6″ from the ground on another side of the sink.
- Electrical receptacle/outlet: It is used to plug in your hair dryers or electric razors; must be located at 3’6″ height on the right-side of the sink.
- Towel ring: Towel ring is a hand or face towel holder that can be installed at 4’0″ height from the ground.
- Vanity unit: This is optional but recommended for storage purposes. Mounted above the washbasin, it can have a mirrored door of minimum height 1’6″.
A toilet seat is the most important sanitization fixture used for the disposal of human feces and urine by flushing water.
A toilet can be of the “European or Western Water Closet” type, the squatting one called the “Squatting Pan” or the mix of both, known as the “Anglo-Indian”.
The basic accessories of the toilet are:
4. Shower stalls/enclosures
Also known as a shower cubicle, it is a washing or bathing booth that has a shower nozzle to spray hot (or cold) water over a standing person.
There are different types of shower stalls such as electric, air, steam, bucket, etc.
The standard dimensions can be 3’0″ x 5’0″, 3’0″ x 3’0″, 2’8″ x 4’0″, etc.
The basic accessories of the shower stall are:
- Showerhead: This fixture has a nozzle for directing the spray of water at divergent angles. Its height can be fixed as per the user’s requirements, but for adults, the ideal height is 5’9″ and for kids, 5’0″.
- Shower controls: It controls the flow and temperature of water by mixing hot and cold water from water supplies; can be installed below the showerhead at a 4’6″ height from the ground.
- Soap and sponge holder: This is installed at a height of 4’6″ on any side, opposite to the showerhead.
- Shower curtain rod: The shower curtains are usually made of vinyl, plastic, or cloth and can be used in the shower stall or bathtub enclosures.
These curtains serve two purposes: provides privacy and prevents water from overflowing outside the shower stall. The rod is installed at a 6’0″ height from the ground.
- Towel rack: Length dimensions can be between 1’6″ and 2’0″ and should be placed at a 5’0″ height from the floor on the rear wall of the shower stall.
- Shower ventilator: It can vent all the shower steam.
- Towel bars: Length dimensions can be 1’6″, 2’0″, or 3’0″. Towel bars can be located on the posterior wall of the shower stall at a 4’0″ height from the ground.
- Shower stall light: This can be installed as per user’s choice but must be water-proof.
Pro tip: In place of curtains, you can also install a glass shower enclosure.
A tap is a very common plumbing fixture used to supply and control the flow of water.
The commonly used taps are:
- Water taps: They supply hot and cold water into the washbasin or bathtub.
- Valves: These regulate, direct, and control the water flow.
- Water spigot: A spigot is an external tap to which you can easily attach a hosepipe.
Your bathroom is an important part of your house.
So, while designing, be sure to get every detail right. This means considering both fixtures and fittings in the overall architecture of the bathroom.
Looking for the best plumbing products for your bathroom or kitchen? Visit the website https://www.kralsu.com/ and shop online now! For more information, Dial 1-888-282-1779.
- Tags: Faucets
- Kral Su